If my hands weren’t broken right now, I’d be drawing fan art of Bryan Lee O’malley’s Seconds. It came in the mail a few hours ago, and I’m already done with it. It was a fun ride from start to finish, and the characters were all cute.
Y’should buy it.
Good news! Despite not returning my call or emails for the past few weeks, my Worker’s Comp person came through and I now have a few doctors I can choose from for a second opinion! Only took a month and a half…on top of half a year.
Kind’a given up on finding any more pictures of my Spike cosplay a this point, but the good news is that I’m meeting a costume maker tomorrow to buy fabric for my jacket, so hopefully it’ll all be ready to go by my next few conventions:
- SacAnime August 29-31, Sacramento, CA
- Yaoicon (In a non-Artist capacity…) September 12-14, Burlingame, CA
- Krakencon October 4-5, Oakland, CA
I’ll provide more details, like table number, when the cons are closer.
- The drive from the Bay to LA is loooooooong. The theme of the weekend for everyone was “exhaustion.”
- Not only did I get to see a paintchat friend from years ago (diamagnet), but beside her was an even older paintchat friend (motolokiev) down from Canada
- I got to meet elorahhh after being online art friends with her for ~11 years. We didn’t know either of us would be there, so when she saw me, her jaw dropped.
- Got to meet nargyle, and she was super nice, as was her table buddy wilmuck, whose mustache I’m convinced plans to kidnap her and tie her to train tracks.
- I was chatting with a girl in line at a food truck about ice cream flavors, and she asked me if I was Canadian because she found me polite. I was so amused that I used my previously acquired knowledge to buy her the flavor of ice cream she wanted. When I got back to my hotel, I was shown a poster of Jessica Nigri cosplaying the same character as that girl, and after thousands of pictures on tumblr/Flickr,
she’s the only person who matches the one I met. tl;dr, there’s a chance I bought Jessica Nigri ice cream and then walked away.Update: Nope
- A lot of walking in shoes that’d never been broken in, in the sun no less.
- I’ve only found one photo of my Spike Spiegel cosplay, and it’s very cropped. Some people thought I was a perfect Spike, but a lot of people either don’t care about Cowboy Bebop, or were too young to know/appreciate it and didn’t recognize me. I’m still in the process of getting someone to make my jacket for the costume.
- I met a ton of really cool LA-based artists, met some artists I traded with at Fanime, and probably looked stupid in front of a bunch of others.
- Got con plague, but am already almost over it.
- Have a table for next AX beside automaticgiraffe who I was “helping” over the weekend (See: abandoning to talk to other artists).
- The con seemed pretty over capacity. The fire marshal closed the reg line doors for like an hour… and then stopped caring.
- Did at-con reg and saved 3 hours in the hot sun.
That’s pretty much everything I can think of for the moment.
Just got in from AX. Hungry, exhausted, but glad to be home. I’ve got like 50 business cards to go through tomorrow and I have to remember how I interacted with each person @_@
Also, if anyone has any photos of my Spike Spiegel cosplay from this weekend, gimme gimme.
Finally finished Link Between Worlds. Maybe I should make a Ravio print…
So, it seems that automaticgiraffe has finally convinced/bribed me to go down to LA for AX with him in a week. I don’t have a table, so I’ll either be sitting behind his as a helper (will update with table number later), or floating around (presumably) Artist Alley talking to old friends and making new ones.
Naturally, I’ll be cosplaying as well. My tentative schedule is:
Fri+Sat: Spike Spiegel
I’d do Sherlock, but SoCal is too hot for that. That, and despite it being a nickname and namesake, I’m probably going to be retiring my Sherlock cosplay for a bit.
If you see me there though, feel free to get a photo or start a conversation! Just because I’m not selling art, doesn’t mean I’m not going to be social!